Saturday, August 9, 2008

New Guitar


I can just barely play a guitar. I mean, I know a hand full of cords and stuff. I don’t really even know any songs. But I have these 2 guitars. One is an old electric guitar that I got for Christmas when I was 12. The other is an acoustic guitar that I bought in the 80’s.

Well, Shannon started taking guitar lessons and has taken over my acoustic. And Sierra wanted my electric. Sierra and I have been re-finishing the electric for the past few weeks so that it looks cool enough for her. Shannon has been taking photos, so that will all be documented here someday when that project is done.

But anyway, listening to Shannon and Sierra practicing has inspired me to work on my playing, But I didn’t have a guitar. They had all been taken over.

I have a safe full of guns that I have not shot in a long time and I started checking out some pawn shops, in the hopes of finding something that I liked that the owner would be willing to trade a gun for. So for the last few weeks I have been checking out pawn shops on my lunch break. But nothing there really caught my eye.

Wednesday I went to Guitar Center, a place that sells new guitars and just kind of looked around. Then I spotted a black Ovation sitting near the clearance area. I've always liked the way Ovation guitars look, but I never thought I would get one because they tend to be rather expensive. The tag claimed a retail price of $1100 and it was marked down to $449. Sitting just a few feet away was an identical guitar marked $789. Hummm.

So I called a sales guy over and he checks it out. He claims that they both are really $449, but one was just not marked down yet. I played it a while and ended up getting it. The sales guy made it out to be the deal of a life time. But that is his job.

I went on the Ovation Fan Club site and posted my story and it seems like I did get a good deal on it. It is USA made and only the upper few tiers of them are made here. The lower range ones are all made over seas now.

So here it is, my new guitar. I really like the way it looks and sounds. Maybe someday I will be able to play well enough to do it justice.



1 comment:

Autumn said...

Ooooh, shiney!!!! I like it..I love it! Can't wait to hear all 3 of you play together. You'll have to make some recordings for us.