Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Holiday Tradition

This year I've been privileged to be part of two white elephant gift exchanges. I looked it up on Wikipedia, but beyond how to play the game, I didn't see any origins although truthfully I didn't look very hard. I'm sure it has something to do with the old flea markets which were probably the precursor to garage sales before people had garages. Luckily, the great white elephant elf was very kind to me. A fart book, a cheesy Las Vegas wedding veil and a strange stuffed thing called a "Kookie" named Sir Kooks-a lot, are all in my possession. In case you didn't know, the fun of a white elephant exchange is in stealing other's gifts. Yes indeed, I stole these gems.





I stole the fart book from another non-believer at the annual Atheist Meet up Solstice party. I know what you are thinking. What could I possibly want with a book about farts? Well... lets be honest people. Farts are funny and mine are particularly funny......at least to me.



Devin was the one who actually got the wedding veil from the same Solstice party, but I wore it out of the restaurant. Imagine if you will, a photo of me wearing a cheap white veil with " I love you" in red letters along the hem. I couldn't find it today, otherwise I'd model it for you.


Sir Kooks a lot was the very first gift opened by one of my co-workers at our annual Christmas potluck/gift exchange. It was a long sausage like package and as she began to open one end, we all wondered what it could be. What appeared to be a skunk's tail peeped out of the package! As she pulled it out of its protective gift wrap and Sir-Kooks-a-lot emerged we were still not sure what it was! The recipient seemed less than pleased and no one seemed terribly interested in relieving her of him. Since we did this gift exchange alphabetical by first name I had quite a few gifts to choose from when my turn came. Sir Kooks a lot just spoke to me and I had to steal him! He and I continue to make beautiful music together.

He is very cuddly AND he has a crew! I found them hanging out at "Limited Too" later that day.

1 comment:

Autumn said...

You scored some most excellent swag at those parties! I love white elephant gift exchanges...they are the bomb!

Did I ever tell you about one of Shannon and our drinking nights with Alex's first grades teacher from Pine Hell? We came up with a great coffee table book called "Pull My Finger" - so I'm envious of your fart book! LOL